52 Create – End Grain Cutting Board

52 Create – my weekly creative project for 2011. While I am extremely pleased with how this week’s project turned out, I’m quite surprised I made anything at all.  In the past week I had friends visiting, 2 dinner parties, 2 birthdays, and a wedding.  Sunday was of course mother’s day and I had nothing prepared, but having just bought a thickness planer (Rigid 4330) I felt that a cutting board might be in order.

It seems as though an end grain cutting board is a bit of a right of passage for a wood worker.  Not owning a planer, I had shied away from this project in the past.  I was pleasantly surprised how easy this project was and how well it turned out.  The board is made of maple and walnut left over from other projects.  Glued together with Titebond II (waterproof) and finished with mineral oil which is food safe.

As this was my first attempt I didn’t go too crazy with the pattern and I also wasn’t exactly sure on the final dimensions, so it’s a bit of an odd shape, but perfect it seems for a loaf of bread.

My other 52 Create projects.

Advertisements

Polaroid Plaque Mount

I love polaroids. From the opening of the SX-70 to the anticipation as the film spits out the front of the camera, I love it all.  My only problem is I end up with stacks and stacks of polaroids, and besides leaving them in stacks around the house, I don’t have much else to do with them.  There was the mechanics desk, but it’s full now and that’s a fairly immobile object.

I needed a gift for mother’s day for my wife. We generally like to make each other gifts and don’t really believe in going out and spending money on things we probably don’t need or won’t use after a month or two.   I saw something similar to this on the net a couple of years ago, sorry I don’t recall the link.

It’s quite simple and inexpensive to make, it’s just pieces of 5/8″ mdf cut to size and painted with mat paint (I used tremclad, it’s thick so you don’t need too many coats).  The photos are actually not the original polaroids, but scanned and then inkjet printed so they’d be easier to glue and then I’d still have the originals to leave in piles around my house…  The pictures are stuck on with contact cement.  A picture wire is on the back to allow it to be hung on the wall.  I stuck the white blocks onto the black background with double sided tape. I actually meant to glue and nail gun it, but I didn’t have the right size nails, and I ran out of time, but the tape has worked so far and it’s been over 2 months, cross your fingers…