Cutsom stock #2 is now finished and off to a happy customer. This one was also made of walnut but had a slightly different design as requested by the client. Once again I’m really happy with the finish on these rifles and will use it more often on my other work.
Now that these two are done I can get to work on my backlog of projects! It’s great to be busy but it would be nice if my list would get shorter and not longer once in awhile…
Finally something to post about… Or more like finally some time to post what I’ve been working on…. I’ve made rifle stocks in the past, but not in the last couple of years. Well orders have flooded in all of a sudden (when it rains it pours…). Here is the first of 7. It’s a custom stock designed for a local athlete who came just shy of a medal at last year’s national championships. The design was mostly his suggestions, and they are loosely based on a German stock maker named Brislinger.
I’m quite happy with how it turned out, and I tried out a new finish on it which I’m thrilled with the results of. I spent a long time picking out the wood, and while you can’t see it from the pictures, there is some sap wood on the other side of the stock, giving it a nice two-toned look. Below is one of his first test groups… 98 out of 100 is an incredible score, and can’t be solely credited to the stock, but I’m also his coach, so I can take some of the credit…
So I do make other things besides cutting boards, just seems like that’s what gets posted most often. The bottom two boards were Anniversary/Christmas presents for my parents and in-laws. They were both well received, and unfortunately are rarely used “because they’re just too nice”. The top board was meant to be the same as the bottom two, but since the glue up wasn’t as flat as it could have been, I had a few exciting passes through the planer (read “projectile cutting board”). Anyways, the rectangular board got smaller and smaller, until it became a square board. Worked out in the end.
All boards are made from maple and walnut, food safe glue, and some colourful acrylic accent paint. Finished with food-safe mineral oil. The small one was put on Etsy and sold a few weeks ago!
Was playing around with some scraps the other day. I’ve had an idea for how to cut the inside of a spoon for a while, but tried a few different designs for the outside shape. They are more work … Continue reading →